Church History
By 1912, Dunningville was a prosperous community with a store, Post Office, and a depot. There seemed to be great potential for a church. A group of persons living in the area were members of the Hamilton and Overisel Reformed Churches and traveled with horse and carriage twelve miles, round trip each Sunday to attend these churches. They desired to have a church of their own in their own community. So, the Dunningville Reformed Church was organized on May 8, 1912, with 15 families--forty communicant members and 23 baptized members who transferred from the Hamilton and Overisel Churches.
The church was served by seminary students, the first being Arthur Bennink, who came during the first summer, and seminary professors and ordained ministers from neighboring Reformed Churches until 1921. The Rev. Arba Dunnewold accepted the call to become the first full time minister. He lived in the home of Mr. and Mrs. D. J. Poelakker and served until 1926 when he passed away at the Poelakker home.
About this time the government was buying up much of the land and the population of Dunningville was diminishing. Shortly after this the Depression hit and the congregation found it next to impossible to support another full time minister.
To make matters worse, on the night of January 15, 1933, the church building which stood in the village of Dunningville on 41st Street, was destroyed by fire. Despite financial difficulties involved, land was purchased on M-40 and a new building was erected with volunteer labor. It was dedicated on March 19, 1934.
Because of the debt involved and the size of the congregation, the church continued with lay leadership, student pastors, and guest ministers for 27 years until 1953 when a call was extended to Rev. Bernard Hakken, Jr. to serve the church as Stated Pulpit Supply while Mrs. Hakken finished her education at Hope College in preparation for service in the mission field. The Hakkens served as missionaries to the Philippines and Dunningville Church assumed partial support.
By 1955-56, the church showed signs of growth and the first parsonage was built. This was done mostly by volunteers. In 1991, an addition and garage were added to the parsonage. In 1962 and in 1973 additions were made to the M-40 church.
By the 1990's the building size and accessibility limitations were realized. It was decided to rebuild, rather than do costly renovations to that building. In 1997, Phase 1 (a new sanctuary, nursery, library and offices) were built. This was done largely by volunteers and added to the church by a connecting walkway. The original bell was moved from the bell tower to the new one. Phase 1 was dedicated on April 5, 1998.
In 2001, Phase 2 (six large classrooms, a fully equipped kitchen, and a large all purpose room) was added to the sanctuary. It was dedicated on November 11, 2001 following a ceremony decommissioning the building which had been built in 1933-34.
From 1912 until the present, Dunningville Reformed Church has been served by faithful members. Our members volunteer for organists and pianists, cleaning the church, facilities, doing office work, security, yearly cleaning and everything needed to keep things going. The minister is the only paid, full-time staff person.
Missionaries
Martha and Jaime Amaro & Family (serving in Seybaplaya Campeche, Mexico)
Kirk and Jan Reynolds & Family (serving with the Navigators out of Chicago)
Tim and JJ TenClay & Family (serving in RCA Refugee Program)
By 1912, Dunningville was a prosperous community with a store, Post Office, and a depot. There seemed to be great potential for a church. A group of persons living in the area were members of the Hamilton and Overisel Reformed Churches and traveled with horse and carriage twelve miles, round trip each Sunday to attend these churches. They desired to have a church of their own in their own community. So, the Dunningville Reformed Church was organized on May 8, 1912, with 15 families--forty communicant members and 23 baptized members who transferred from the Hamilton and Overisel Churches.
The church was served by seminary students, the first being Arthur Bennink, who came during the first summer, and seminary professors and ordained ministers from neighboring Reformed Churches until 1921. The Rev. Arba Dunnewold accepted the call to become the first full time minister. He lived in the home of Mr. and Mrs. D. J. Poelakker and served until 1926 when he passed away at the Poelakker home.
About this time the government was buying up much of the land and the population of Dunningville was diminishing. Shortly after this the Depression hit and the congregation found it next to impossible to support another full time minister.
To make matters worse, on the night of January 15, 1933, the church building which stood in the village of Dunningville on 41st Street, was destroyed by fire. Despite financial difficulties involved, land was purchased on M-40 and a new building was erected with volunteer labor. It was dedicated on March 19, 1934.
Because of the debt involved and the size of the congregation, the church continued with lay leadership, student pastors, and guest ministers for 27 years until 1953 when a call was extended to Rev. Bernard Hakken, Jr. to serve the church as Stated Pulpit Supply while Mrs. Hakken finished her education at Hope College in preparation for service in the mission field. The Hakkens served as missionaries to the Philippines and Dunningville Church assumed partial support.
By 1955-56, the church showed signs of growth and the first parsonage was built. This was done mostly by volunteers. In 1991, an addition and garage were added to the parsonage. In 1962 and in 1973 additions were made to the M-40 church.
By the 1990's the building size and accessibility limitations were realized. It was decided to rebuild, rather than do costly renovations to that building. In 1997, Phase 1 (a new sanctuary, nursery, library and offices) were built. This was done largely by volunteers and added to the church by a connecting walkway. The original bell was moved from the bell tower to the new one. Phase 1 was dedicated on April 5, 1998.
In 2001, Phase 2 (six large classrooms, a fully equipped kitchen, and a large all purpose room) was added to the sanctuary. It was dedicated on November 11, 2001 following a ceremony decommissioning the building which had been built in 1933-34.
From 1912 until the present, Dunningville Reformed Church has been served by faithful members. Our members volunteer for organists and pianists, cleaning the church, facilities, doing office work, security, yearly cleaning and everything needed to keep things going. The minister is the only paid, full-time staff person.
Missionaries
Martha and Jaime Amaro & Family (serving in Seybaplaya Campeche, Mexico)
Kirk and Jan Reynolds & Family (serving with the Navigators out of Chicago)
Tim and JJ TenClay & Family (serving in RCA Refugee Program)